Saturday, April 22, 2017

Mortzengerstrum the Mad Manticore

From the description, the recently-released adventure Mortzengerstrum the Mad Manticore of Prismatic Peak is probably a little too gonzo for my tastes, but I totally, completely dig the cover. It's not just the art style and layout, but the font and color perfectly emulates the old Gold Key comics. It's an inspired choice for an adventure book.

In general, I wish more game products would look to alternative inspirations like this for the design of their products. I mean, I love the old TSR style as much as anyone, but RPG art direction could do so much more. Even if someone wanted to stay in a retro mode, as Mortzengerstrum shows, there are myriad possibilities of interesting art direction just from the seventies. Yoon Suin is another example of using a very different, but no less evocative design.

Here's hoping more publishers try experiments like this!

No comments:

Post a Comment