Friday, July 14, 2017

Two Gugs

As I had mentioned in an earlier post on gugs, I received two new gug miniatures from two separate Kickstarters. The gug on the left is from Sandy Petersen’s Cthulhu Mythos for Pathfinder, while the gug on the right is from the Reaper Bones III set.

Whenever I get a new giganto set of miniatures, I try to do triage, sorting the prospects into three or four categories based on priority. High priority are minis that are immediately useful for a game, easier to paint, and/or particularly cool. At the other end are minis that I either don’t like or are unlikely to be used, like steampunk figures. Both gugs ended up in the high priority bin, but I was a little surprised that I decided to paint them first out of the new batch.

Both are really nice sculpts and were a lot of fun to paint. They are very different takes on the same concept: both are Large creatures with 2-inch bases, but much smaller than the Pathfinder Battles gug, which is probably twice as tall as either. I was initially disappointed by the size of the Reaper gug, but it has grown on me. It is certainly the most alien rendition of the monster, with a pretty gruesome maw. I was not quite sure how to paint this, but was fairly happy with how ghoul flesh looked on this figure. The Petersen gug probably better fits my idea of the gug from H.P. Lovecraft’s Dreamlands.

In any case, I don’t think any of my players would like to see either of these gugs appear on the play mat. Which is a weird sort of endorsement for these minatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment