Wednesday, April 26, 2017

RIP, Google Hangouts

Yesterday was the last day for third party apps using the Google Hangouts API. I ran a rocking Age of Worms campaign for a little over two years and 70 sessions with Roll20 and Google Hangouts, and in general it was a very slick setup: easy to use and fairly reliable. The group got all the way “Kings of the Rift” before new babies and schedules finally sunk the campaign.

Like all unfinished campaigns, I still harbor fleeting hopes that we will someday be able to pick up where we left off, though the likelihood of that happening diminishes with each passing day. I hope Roll20 is able to find a video solution that works as well as hangouts did. Is Skype a possibility? In the last couple of years my firm has been integrating Skype video and phone into our conference calls and I‘ve been impressed with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment